How to Prepare Your Home for Spring
After a long and cold winter, the promise of warmer temperatures is a breath of fresh air. Spring is right around the corner and your home needs some TLC after months of being neglected. Knocking out these home maintenance projects early means you’ll have more time to enjoy outdoors once the warmer weather arrives.
Exterior Home Maintenance
Although winters aren’t terribly harsh in the Triangle, your home faces wear and tear throughout the winter months. Take time to carefully inspect your home’s exterior:
- Examine the caulking and weather stripping of doors and windows for damage and replace if necessary.
- Inspect the roof for visible damage and missing shingles.
- Inspect exterior surfaces like siding and brick. Touch up areas that need paint to protect your home’s structure from deteriorating.
- Clear debris from gutters and downspouts so water is free to flow.
- Check trees for broken branches or rotting wood. Trim back any branches that are growing close to your home.
Take note of major damages that need immediate attention. Tackling these projects before problems progress can save money in the long run.
Interior Home Maintenance
Although you’ve spent the winter season inside, there are still a few routine home maintenance projects that can be completed in preparation for spring.
- Check your home’s HVAC system. It may be a good idea to have your system tuned by a professional before transitioning from heat to air conditioning. You may be able to save money by doing this before the peak season hits and prices increase!
- Replace and restock air filters as necessary.
- Clean interior windows (especially in the basement!).
- Clear lint from clothes dryer vent.
- Clean out cabinets, pantry, refrigerator, and storage closets.
- Deep clean carpets and rugs.
Spring is the perfect season to clean and update your home, and the results are so rewarding! Don’t wait for sunshine and beautiful temperatures to transition your home between seasons. Start now!